Rhinestic's Knick Knacks

Wednesday, March 04, 2015

O' Crafty Day #19: DIY Keys Holder/Ring


And I thought I would be doing up the post on shibori dyeing first.. But....

The keys ring that I have for a few years (gifted by a good friend) finally broke apart while I was opening my door, and I almost lost a few keys in the process. Instead of buying a new one, I decided to make my own.


I used a 19mm book ring as the core and hand-shaped some yellow polymer clay around one side of the book ring. I sculpted a cat-like figure. :) I did use a little Fimo liquid deko gel where the clay touches the metal ring.

The clay is then baked together with the metal book ring at the manufacturer's recommended temperature and timing. Once cured, I let the clay cool down to room temperature before doing some light sanding using a 320 grit wet/dry sand paper.

I then mixed up some acrylic colors and painted the details on my clay. Once the paint was dried, I did 3 coats of varnish and let dry overnight.

And while I was at it, I made a few more with more minimalist mod designs. They are still WIPs though.


No comments :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...