Rhinestic's Knick Knacks

Friday, May 08, 2015

Making Good: Weaving Embroidery Mending . Geometric Forms


I am so honored to be invited again by the wonderful Agatha from Green Issues by Agy to jump on board her new blogging train: Making Good.

And so, I have this favorite sports skort (skirt + shorts combo) of mine which has served me well over the past half a decade. It is so well-worn that unsightly tears are starting to show up...


I have been itching to try this intriguing weaving + embroidery technique which I have seen on Pinterest. It is originally a darning technique but tweaked to be used on woven fabrics.

I quickly did up a sampler to get a feel of how the technique works as well as to decide the weight of thread that I wanted to use.


I finalized on using a double-stranded needle with a single strand of DMC embroidery thread. The process was tedious but the end results were quite cool!

Materials and tools used are embroidery hoop,  DMC embroidery threads, mending patch, embroidery needle and a pair of scissors.

I got this mending patch from Daiso to act as a stabilizer. But, alas, it wasn't the most pleasant material to work with on my light-weight skort fabric.


In hindsight, I should have just used pieces of light-weight cotton (serged on the edges) as my stabilizers.

I selected some muted colors (pretty close in color value to the gray base of my skort) for the embroidery threads since I am going for a more subtle look (lest I made a glaring bad mistake which will stand out like a sore thumb) .


I first patched the holes with the Daiso mending patch.


I stretched the section which I wanted to embroider on with the embroidery hoop. Then, I drew in the shapes (with a water and air erasable pen) which would eventually be darned over.



Once the major holes are ment, I slowly built up the design with more embroidery and weaves.


And here is the final result!


On me

Here is a little video demonstration that I have made to show the basic concept of surface darning (weaving + embroidery). Enjoy! (I've used a single-threaded needle here instead. And looks like I have accidentally mispelt 'straighten'... Oops..!)






The very creative Yaney went beyond thinking outside of the box and made herself a spanking new pair of insoles for her shoes with a common material which one might not even think of! Do check her post out!

Next in the line of this blog train will be Karen from Rude Record. She is big on living in a frugal manner and her life is revolving around thrifting, upcycling and refashioning without losing style! Can't wait to see her project!


 photo MakingGood_zpsizxmugcf.png

This post is part of a blog train hosted by Agatha from Green Issues by Agy on "Making Good". What is repair, and why do we even bother to repair the things we have?  Some see repair as a way of reconnecting with our possessions as we extend their lives. Others see it as a form of creative potential and an avenue to express their craft.  The rewards for mending varies from feeling immense satisfaction to prolonging the life of the product. Follow the “Making Good” blog train this month and see what we have repaired and reconnected with. Have you mended anything today?

22 comments :

Agy said...

I love the geometric forms you made out of the weaving. That must have taken quite a while to do though. Great job!

Unknown said...

wow I have been under a rock - I haven't seen or heard of this type of darning or patching and I LOVE IT!! oh goodness I am going to have to find or make something that needs some darning now to try out this technique! thanks for sharing with us and for the cool inspiration!!

Rhinestic said...

Thank you, ladies! :)

Carrie said...

This is just beautiful, the geometric forms look great on the shorts. I would have never, ever thought of this... thank you for sharing!

Carrie
curlycraftymom.com
Joining the blog train May 14!

Unknown said...

Absolutey stunning! I love this and you have inspired me to get far more creative with my patching. Brilliant fix! <3

Purfylle said...

The colours you chose are just beautiful. Your darning is absolutely gorgeous and you have inspired me to consider this as an option in the future. It never occurred to me that darning could be a feature and doesn't have to be invisible.

Veronica Lee said...

Brilliant! I am pinning this!

Hi! Swinging by from Agy's blog.

Rhinestic said...

^.^ Thank you for liking this repair, everyone!

Kiat Teng said...

Really beautiful! Hope to try it out too.

Rhinestic said...

Hi Kiat Teng, have fun and enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Great mend!

Geeta said...

💙🙏🙏🙏Great learning,Many Thanks👍

Jess S. said...

Really beautifully done. NIce color choices.

Libby Wick said...

Beautiful, unique, vision. Love what you've done.

Meira Shana said...

The creative mind is an awesome intriguing gift.

I never saw this done as a patch - but do have two trilooms and a knitting board.

I also do Swedish Weaving on Monk's cloth and also Aida cloth aka Huck.

You've got me salivating to start yet another thing. LOL My SOS is already in trouble.

TY!!!

Meira Shana said...

This would be fun to do on jeans and the like.

I already bought a red/white gingham shirt at Costco to do Chicken Scratch - and haven't touched it.

Might consider doing this technique on the same shirt ... and incorporate it with the CS.

I've already crocheted 22 preemie and newborn caps. Have a knitted afghan to finish weaving in tails - and poncho to finish with hood. LOL

Gee, some of the tails might be good for weaving ... LOL

snowflake said...

Hvala,človek se uči celo življenje...lepo nedeljo tudi vam..
zdaj vem,kaj bom delala popoldne....

Unknown said...

Me encantó !! Gracias por enseñar el paso a paso !.

Unknown said...

me gustó muchos sus ideas

Anonymous said...

Wonderful job on the weaving/embroidery on your skort. Thank you so much for sharing & great ideas. VCP

Marie Andrée said...

hello your work is absolutly stunning, I'M a weaver and is it possible to see you video please

thank Marie Andrée

Anonymous said...

Just think of all the jeans that can be patched 😁

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...