My initial idea was to follow Evange's Alice in Wonderland Apron youtube tutorial. However, after looking at the classic Disney version (which we are sticking to), I realised that Alice's apron is actually very clean-cut without ruffles and without a pair of cross-back straps.
Evange's version is cute but after some pondering, I eventually drafted my own pattern and decided to add a little bit of ruffles to the "sleeves" area so that it doesn't look too plain.
Here's the initial prototype from my drafted pattern:
As you can see, the base apron is quite similar to the classic Alice's apron. The addition of the ruffles makes the apron look a little bit more finished. The top bodice is lined while the bottom skirt is not.
This is my final apron:
Instead of making my own ruffles (I was running out of time), I just got some ruffle lace that I have in my stash. This time round, I lined the bottom skirt. I also added some subtle decorative stitching at the bottom of the skirt:
As this white fabric is slightly thinner than the floral fabric that I used on the prototype test piece, I should have added interfacing to the belt band. But oh well, the party is only for a day and I doubt my colleague will wear this apron again (but I do hope she'll keep it for memory's sake), so I skipped the interfacing step.
All in all, the apron looks pretty decent but I wonder how Alice managed to keep her apron straight all times with such a strange design... The cross-back straps would have fared better..